Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Ethical Wills - Part II

I recently taught a class on ethical wills and gave the assignment to write an ethical will. I procrasinated but realized that it would be bad if the teacher didn't do the assignment. It was actually a lot of fun, so here is my draft, for now. I hope to have many years to revise it.

Susie Heneson Moskowitz January 1, 2011

Look for the good or the kadosh, the holy, in everyone. I truly believe it is there and when it is hard to find it is because the person has been wounded. It is not your job to take care of everyone or to fix everything, but when you can help people, try to help them and when you are in a position to be tolerant and patient, be that way.

While I believe in righteous indignation and that there are things worth fighting for and wrongs that need to be corrected, I don’t in general think being angry or intolerant is a worthwhile use of time. Instead be patient and remove people from your life who give you ajida (whenever possible). Life is too short to waste your energy on meanness or stupidity.

Be involved in the world, however you choose to define world. It could be your own little corner of the world or you can make a difference on a global scale. I have always been content focusing on my narrow portion of the world and hoping that some of what I do and the ways that I touch people will have a ripple effect.

Nice has gotten a bad reputation; but it is okay to be nice.

Steve, Shira and Ari - Know that I couldn’t love you more. You are amazing people and I have so much respect for you. If I ever criticized you or harped on something it was only because I wanted to help you be the best person you could be and to rise to even higher heights, not because you were deficient in anyway.

Love your family (no matter what).

Money- Give as much of it away as you can. Too much money makes one complacent. Keep enough so that you can be comfortable, be educated and have the opportunity to travel. And then give the rest to the tzedakah projects of your choice. I like to support Israel, women’s rights (especially micro-loans and reproductive health initiatives), diseases that family and friends are afflicted by, Jewish camping and my temple and my schools. Secondarily, I support the environment, museums and culture. But give generously even when you are not sure if you have enough money.

Believe in God and in the oneness of the universe, it makes life more meaningful.

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully put, Susie. I couldn't have said it better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a fantasy world, I would love to see TBT do 'adult re-bar mitvah( for those already having had one, with a SHORT ethical will being the Bar Mitzvah speech.

    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wayne- that is a great idea or for Adult Confirmation. I taught a nice Adult Ed class on Ethical Wills. People created beautiful ones. One person even had visual aides. I could offer the class in the evenings if people are interested.

    ReplyDelete